Dermatologist Dr. Sonia Batra shares her best tips for saving your hands from dry out from hand washing.
- Use warm (but not hot) water
- Try a scent-free soap that lathers, but it does not need to be antibacterial
- Pat rather than rub hands to dry
- Apply a cream moisturizer with ceramides or hyaluronic acid each time after you wash hands
- She prefers tubes of lotion vs. a tub of moisturizer that can get contaminated, and she suggests you keep it with you or at the sink
- Apply a greasy or heavy moisturizer at bedtime to restore skin while you sleep - look for petrolatum or dimethicone If you can tolerate it, you can occlude or seal in the moisturizer with cotton gloves