Green smoothies are a great way to get a serving of vegetables in the morning, or any time during the day. ER physician Dr. Travis Stork shares a recipe for one of his favorite green smoothies, which is loaded with vitamins A and C, folate, potassium and fiber.
"Don't let the green scare you," he says. "This is actually a sweet treat."
For maximum flavor and nutrition, make your smoothies fresh every time. The recipe easily doubles.
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 packed cup torn kale
- ½ to 1 ripe banana, broken into pieces
- Handful of ice cubes
- Optional boosts: 1 scoop of nut butter
- In a blender, combine the water, lemon juice and kale
- Blend, starting on low speed and finishing on high speed, until smooth
- Add banana and ice and blend again, starting on low speed and finishing on high speed, until smooth
- Add more water if the smoothie is too thick