Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien shows you how you can lighten up the Pioneer Woman's strawberry pretzel pie so you can enjoy this favorite dessert without all the fat and calories.
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- Two 1/4-oz. envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 8 cups (about 4 pints) sliced strawberries
- 1 cup pretzel sticks, crushed
- 1 cup natural light whipped topping
- Spray a deep-dish pie pan with nonstick spray.
- In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, cornstarch, gelatin, 2 cups strawberries and 3/4 cup water. Puree until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a nonstick pot. Set heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low. Cook and stir until mixture begins to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining 6 cups strawberries and stir to coat. Transfer mixture to the pie pan. (It will be very full!) Let cool completely, 10 to 15 more minutes.
- Refrigerate until firm and chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Just before serving, sprinkle with crushed pretzel sticks and top with whipped topping.
- Makes 8 servings
- 1/8th of pie: 165 calories, 2g fat, 94mg sodium, 36g carbs, 3.5g fiber, 22.5g sugars, 3.5g protein
Source: The Hungry Girl