Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien remakes some of your favorite recipes from cooking shows to cut the fat and calories. Try this goat cheese and red pepper frittata, originally featured by Tiffani Thiessen on Cooking with Tiffani, for brunch or dinner.
- 2 1/2 cups (about 20) egg whites
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon, plus 1 dash each salt and black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- Preheat broiler.
- In a large bowl, combine egg whites, Greek yogurt and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Mix well until mostly uniform.
- Bring a large broiler-safe nonstick skillet to medium heat. Add bell pepper, shallots, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes and remaining dash each salt and pepper. Drizzle with oil. Cook and stir until veggies have softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer veggies to the large bowl. Mix well.
- Remove skillet from heat; clean, if needed. Re-spray and bring to medium-low heat.
- Add mixture to the skillet, tilting skillet back and forth to ensure egg mixture is evenly distributed. If needed, run a spatula along the sides of the skillet to help it flow underneath the veggies.
- Cover and cook for 8 minutes. Uncover and continue to cook without stirring until egg mixture is mostly set, about 5 more minutes.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese and Parmesan. Broil until the top is golden brown and center is set, about 3 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Makes 4 servings
- 1/4th of frittata: 240 calories, 9.5g fat, 972mg sodium, 8.5g carbs, 1.5g fiber, 4.5g sugars, 28.5g protein
Source: The Hungry Girl