The average serving of nachos has approximately 1000 calories and 58 grams of fat! Get the recipe for a healthier, homemade version.
- 12 tortillas
- 3 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups of black beans, cooked
- 1 ½ cups of low-fat or fat-free cheese, shredded
- 1 ½ cups of onion, finely-diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 limes
- 6 tsp. of chili powder
- 6 tsp. of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray or olive oil to coat baking sheet
Directions for tortilla chips:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and coat with cooking spray or a small amount of olive oil.
3. Cut each tortilla into 8 wedges.
4. Lightly brush each side of tortilla wedges with olive oil.
5. Lightly sprinkle with salt or seasoning, if desired.
6. Bake for 15 mins. or until crispy, flipping over halfway through cooking time.
Directions for nachos:
1. Bake tortillas using recipe above.
2. Over medium heat, add olive oil to a large pot and sauté diced onions until slightly soft and caramelized.
3. Add black beans, tomatoes, the juice of one lime and chili powder, and stir until heated.
4. Let mixture cool slightly then scoop evenly over tortilla chips.
5. Top with shredded cheese.
6. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 mins. or until cheese is melted.
7. Remove from oven and top with avocado and remaining lime juice.
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.