E.R. physician Dr. Travis Stork demonstrates how to make a delicious vegetarian chili with a secret ingredient — beer!
- 1 12-oz. can or bottle of beer
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 cup of chopped onion
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 cup of chopped mushrooms
- 3 cups of chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups of pinto beans, cooked
- 2 cups of red kidney beans, cooked
- 3 tbsp. of olive oil
- 1 tsp. of paprika
- 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. of hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
2. Add onions, garlic, mushrooms and bell peppers and sauté until slightly soft and caramelized.
3. Transfer into a large pot.
4. Over low heat, add beer, tomatoes, spices and hot sauce to pot.
5. Stir and simmer for 20 mins.
6. Add beans to pot and simmer on low heat for an additional 20 mins., stirring occasionally until mixture thickens.
7. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving (serves 6-8).