Chef Kristin Sollenne shares three delicious recipes featuring autumnal ingredients.
Port-Soaked and Stuffed Figs
- 12 dried figs, cut in half
- ½ cup port wine
- 1 teaspoon whole fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ pound goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- In a one-quart saucepan combine the figs, port, fennel seeds and black pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, and cover with a lid. Let the figs plump in the port for 15 minutes. Remove the figs from the saucepan, and lay them out on a tray to cool completely.
- Thoroughly blend together goat cheese and chives until smooth. Mix in the walnuts.
- Place a small dollop of the cheese mixture in the center of each fig, refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm the cheese. Serve cold.
Stagione Salad (Warm Seasonal Vegetable Salad)
- 12 baby beets
- 12 Brussels sprouts
- 12 round baby carrots
- 12 turnips
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 8 slices of reduced-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons balsamic dressing (glaze)
- Cut all vegetables in half. Boil baby beets for 35 minutes. In one pot, add Brussels sprouts, carrots and turnips. Boil together for 7-10 minutes. Heat olive oil over medium heat and sauté garlic. Add mushrooms, and cook for two to three minutes until lightly browned.
- Add all cooked vegetables to an oven safe sauté pan and continue cooking for five to seven minutes. Transfer to a preheated 425-degree oven and cook for 20 - 25 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Remove vegetables and serve with balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- Season with freshly ground pepper and sea salt. Garnish with slices of reduced-fat ricotta cheese.
- Serve warm.
Fettuccine with Roasted Butternut Squash, Eggplant and Oyster Mushrooms
- 2 cups butternut squash, diced into ½ inch-thick cubes
- 2 cups eggplant, diced into ½ inch-thick cubes
- 1 cup sliced oyster mushrooms
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 pound fettuccine
- Sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons Italian flat leaf Parsley, chopped
- Sauté butternut squash and eggplant cubes in olive oil and garlic until softened.
- Add oyster mushroom slices, along with white wine, 1 tablespoon parsley, sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and cook fettuccine until al dente.
- Strain and add cooked pasta into the saucepan and cook an additional two to three minutes.
- Transfer to serving plate and enjoy! Top with parsley and Parmesan cheese.
Source: © Chef Kristin Sollene