- Olive oil
- ½ bulb fennel, finely diced, fronds reserved
- ½ small onion, finely diced
- 1 pound ground lean chicken
- ½ cup saltine crackers, crushed (about ½ of a sleeve)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground fennel
- 1 cup maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 400° F. In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, sauté onions and fennel. Cook until soft and translucent. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix the ground chicken with the cooled sautéed onions and fennel, saltines, and applesauce. Season with salt, pepper and ground fennel. Roll the meatballs into ping pong-sized balls. Place onto a parchment-lined sheet tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil and place into the oven for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
3. Put maple syrup in a small sauce pan over medium low heat. Add in half the fennel fronds and allow to steep for 15 minutes. Remove fronds and discard. Serve meatballs on a platter with toothpicks. Garnish with chopped fennel fronds and serve with fennel infused maple syrup for dipping.
You might also like: