Spice-Rubbed Grilled Chicken Dinner
- 4 chicken breasts without skin
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix all ingredients together and rubbed all over chicken and then grill on grill or in your grill pan on the stove.
- You can get grill marks and then finish off in oven and do a brush with olive oil mid-way through to keep kitchen moist and cook chicken to internal temperature of 165 degrees for food safety.
- Complete meal option: cut chicken into bite size pieces.
- Coat wok with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray and cook chicken for 2 minutes.
- Add 2 – 4 cups of broccoli and 2 cups of sliced mushrooms and seasoning blend and stir fry until vegetables tender and chicken bite are fully cooked – approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
Spiced Banana Cardamom Morning Muffin
- 1 cup wheat bran
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon dry cardamom
- 3/4 cup mashed overly ripened banana
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract use pure only
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup almond milk or unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and prepare muffin tin with papers
- In medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients and use whisk to mix and distribute evenly
- In large bowl, combine wet ingredients
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until combined; do not over mix
- Using an ice cream scoop or portion scoop, scoop batter into baking cups and bake for 20 – 22 minutes. Use a knife or toothpick to check if muffin is done by putting through muffin and pulling out to see if comes out clean. If not, put in another 2 minutes and check again until comes out clean.
- Let cool about 5 minutes then turn out onto rack for total cool down
Mediterranean Chow Chow
- 4 cups Mediterranean vegetables, diced into ½ inch pieces (any combo of tomatoes, garlic, onions, zucchini, fennel, mushrooms, green beans, asparagus, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 ounce cubed mozzarella
- 10 large black olives
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl. Cover and store in the fridge.
- Make it a light meal by adding 1 ounce cubed mozzarella and 10 large black olives, chopped
Recipes courtesy of "Spice Up, Slim Down," by Dr. Melina Jampolis.