Fitness guru Denise Austin shares three easy and delicious snack swaps to satisfy your cravings without ruining your diet.
Unhealthy choice: Trail Mix
¼ cup = 150 calories and 9g of fat
Healthy choice: Rosemary Popcorn
1 cup popped: 20 calories
- White popcorn kernels popped in a saucepan on the stove
- Use olive oil (add vanilla extract oil for kettle corn)
- In a small bowl, drizzle popcorn with 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- Add 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Toss well and add black pepper to taste
Unhealthy choice: BBQ Chips
15 chips: 150 calories and 9g of fat
Healthy choice: Teriyaki Edamame
1 cup: 120 calories and 2.5g of fat
- Steam, boil, or microwave edamame beans
- Let cool and sprinkle with teriyaki sauce, pressed garlic and lemon juice.
- Keep refrigerated for a ready-to-go snack
Unhealthy choice: Energy/Protein Bar
1 bar: 250 calories and 22g of sugar
Healthy choice: Denise Austin No Bake Bar
1 bar: 194 calories and 6g sugar
- 1.5 cups oats
- 1/4 cup almond butter (Any nut butter will work)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 2 dollops apple butter
- Sprinkle sea salt
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until well mixed. Use wax paper to mold mixture into bars.
Source: Denise Austin
Get more diet and fitness tips in Denise's book, "Side Effect: Skinny, Denise Austin's Fat Blast Diet"! Click here for more details.
"Side Effect: Skinny" is published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by "The Doctors"' executive producer.