Rocco’s Protein Pasta Recipe
- 3 cups liquid egg whites
- 1 scoop protein powder (such as Rocco’s Protein Powder Plus)
- 1tablespoon psyllium husk powder
1. Preheat the oven to 300°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
2. In a blender, combine the egg whites, protein powder, and psyllium husk powder and blend on medium speed until just combined, about 15 seconds. Let sit 5 minutes for the mixture to thicken.
3. Pour the batter onto the lined baking sheet. Bake until the edges of the pasta begin to curl and the middle is firm, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
4. Use a knife or offset spatula to work the pasta sheet off the silicone mat. Roll the sheet as you would a cinnamon roll and cut crosswise to make pasta ribbons as wide as you would like.
Rocco’s Italian Sloppy Joes
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 20 MINUTES
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 1½ teaspoons oregano leaves, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2. Remove the stems from the portobellos. Place the mushrooms gill side up on a baking sheet, transfer to the oven, and roast until they are browned and just tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onion and sweat until translucent, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the garlic and cook another 3 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the turkey, and cook until browned.
5. Add the tomato paste and tomatoes and cook until a thick sauce is formed and you can see the bottom of the pan when you stir the turkey mixture.
6. Finish with the chopped basil and oregano. Serve atop the roasted mushroom caps.
*Recipes courtesy of Rocco DiSpirito