Family medicine physician and clinical sexologist Dr. Rachael Ross joins radio host Robin Quivers — author of The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life — to prepare a vegan, gluten-free stuffing the whole family will like!
• 1/2 cup wild rice
• 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock or water
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 1/2 cups sliced, well-washed leeks
• 1/2 cup diced, peeled carrot
• 1/2 cup diced celery
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 bay leaf
• 3 cups 1-inch cubes gluten-free bread (about 10 slices)
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/2 cup dried or fresh cranberries (optional)
• Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
• In a small saucepot, combine the rice with 2 cups of the stock or water.
• Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
• Cover and cook for 45 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Set aside.
• In a large saute pan, heat the oil over medium heat, and saute the leeks, carrot, celery, garlic and bay leaf until the vegetables are soft but not beginning to brown.
• Mix in the cooked rice, bread, herbs, salt, black pepper, cranberries (if using) and the remaining 1 cup stock or water.
• Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
• Discard the bay leaf.