Family medicine physician Dr. Rachael Ross helps radio host Robin Quivers make everyone's favorite holiday side dish: sweet potatoes! Robin explains in her new book, The Vegucation of Robin: How Real Food Saved My Life, that this recipe is from her first Thanksgiving as a vegan. Enjoy!
• 4 large sweet potatoes
• 2 Granny Smith apples
• 4 tablespoons vegetable spread
• 1/2 cup maple syrup
• 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Wrap the sweet potatoes in aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until just fork-tender.
• Remove from the oven and let cool until they can be handled.
• Cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices.
• Keep the oven on.
• Peel and core the apples. Slice them into 1/2-inch-thick pieces.
• Arrange the sweet potatoes in a 9x13-inch baking dish, alternating with the apples.
• Dot with the vegetable spread, drizzle with the maple syrup, and sprinkle with the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper.
• Bake for 15 minutes, or until the maple syrup starts to bubble.