The Doctors' Prescription: Don't throw away sprouted garlic in your pantry. Studies show that sprouting garlic might have more heart-healthy antioxidants than a fresher clove. Garlic also helps boost the immune system and helps reduce cholesterol levels.
You can substitute sprouted garlic in any recipe that calls for garlic, such as the one below. It will have a little stronger taste.
Do you have a favorite recipe that includes garlic? Share it in the comments section.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, medium width
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon wedges, as garnish
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Rinse asparagus and break off tough ends.
- Place asparagus in shallow roasting pan and coat with oil. Sprinkle with garlic and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Roast uncovered for 6 to 8 minutes (depending on width of spears), shaking pan occasionally.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
Makes 4 servings. One serving is four medium spears.
2 grams fat
5.6 grams carbohydrate
2.4 grams fiber
3 grams protein