ER physician Dr. Travis Stork shares his healthy cookie recipe that will satisfy your sweet tooth without spoiling your diet! Get more healthy and delicious recipes from his book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
Yield: 20 cookies
- 1/4 cup finely chopped raw unsalted almonds
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- About 1/4 cup low-sugar raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12 by 17-inch baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place the chopped almonds in a small bowl.
- Sift the almond flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the coconut oil and honey until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the almond and vanilla extracts and beat to combine. On medium speed, add the egg and beat until the mixture appears homogeneous, about 1 minute. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the insides of the bowl and beat for another 30 seconds. Turn off the mixer, add the dry ingredients, and mix the dough until it forms a loose mass. The dough will be a bit crumbly but will hold together when squeezed.
- Divide the dough into 20 equal pieces. You may do this by using a small ice cream scoop or by rolling the dough into a log and slicing into portions. Roll each piece into a ball and then roll each ball into the chopped almonds, pressing so the almonds stick to the dough. Place the cookies on the baking sheets, leaving about 1.5 inches of space between each. Using your thumbs, press a small, deep indentation into the center of each cookie. Fill each cookie with about 1/2 teaspoon of jam.
- Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and place on wire racks to cool completely.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer.