For a sweet and savory snack that you can enjoy guilt-free, try this simple recipe for parsnip chips with salsa fresca!
- 5 medium-sized parsnips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees F.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel long strips from each parsnip (discarding the first layer), and place in a large bowl with the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Arrange parsnip strips in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast in oven for 25-30 minutes, turning halfway, until golden and crisp.
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 8 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl and toss thoroughly.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
A relative of carrots, celery and parsley, parsnips are rich in dietary fiber, folate, potassium and vitamin C and can help prevent heart disease. The naturally sweet root vegetable can also boost the immune system and promote nerve function, red blood cell growth and dental health.