- 3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds removed
- 2 tbsp green onions
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 ounces fat free cream cheese (or silken tofu, goat cheese, sour cream, cashew cream, something creamy)
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Cook the broccoli in lightly salted water until very soft. Overcook the broccoli in comparison to the al dente cooking that most recipes recommend.
- Drain broccoli very well. Transfer to a food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until smooth, add additional olive oil for a smoother texture.
- Serve warm
- 1 Mexican squash, ends trimmed and quartered
- 6 medium tomatillos, husks removed
- 1 jalapeño, stem removed and sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup oil (grapeseed, vegetable, or any neutral-flavored oil)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt Instructions
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, add enough water cover the squash and tomatillos, about 2 cups. Bring water to a boil, add squash and tomatillos and cover with a lid. Cook until the tomatillos changed to a dark green color and the squash is just cooked through, about five minutes. Remove vegetables from the water using a slotted spoon and discard the water.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the jalapeño and cook until it is golden and charred in some spots. Remove chiles from the pan and reserve oil.
- In a blender, add squash, tomatillos, jalapeño, oil, garlic cloves, cilantro, and salt. Puree until a creamy and smooth consistency. Taste and adjust salt if needed.
- Pour into a bowl and allow to cool. Serve as the real thing.
Green Pea Guacamole
- 2 cups frozen green peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ⅛ teaspoon hot sauce
- Sea salt
- Blend the peas, garlic, lime juice, and cumin in a food processor until smooth.
- Transfer the mixture into a bowl and stir in the tomato, green onion, cilantro, and hot sauce. Add salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend.