- 1 cup yellow split moong lentils (soaked overnight or for at least 2 hours)
- 1 cup basmati rice ( or 1/2 cup rice 1/2 c quinoa)
- 8 cups filtered water
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped carrots ( or vegetables of choice; green beans, sweet potato, squash)
- 2 cup fresh spinach chopped ½ cup coconut milk (optional, but divine)
- Drain the mung lentils and rice into a sieve and and rinse under running water till the water runs clear.
- Add the lentil rice mix and water to a deep cooking pot and leave to cook on medium heat with the lid half on for 15 minutes Meanwhile, prepare vegetables by peeling and chopping them up, add into the cooking pot and place lid back on to allow the vegetables, rice & lentils to bond and become friends 😂 for another 20-25 minutes..or until mushy and soupy.
- In a smaller pan heat the butter/oil over medium heat, and add the cumin, fennel and mustard seeds, cook for a few minutes to release aromatics, and until the mustard seeds have popped.
- Add the curry leaves and ginger, stir to combine. Take off the heat and mix in the spices, the optional coconut milk, spinach & coriander powder into the rice/lentil mix and stir to combine for a couple of minutes.
- Feel free to add more water if you prefer as soupier texture. I adapt it depending on how my bodies feeling! Serve with green chutney, vegan yoghurt or simple enjoy it by itself!
Recipe courtesy of the Conscious Chef Radhi