Elizabeth Perkins, best known for her role in the movie Big and the TV Show Weeds, discusses how she changed her diet after she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and shares her recipe for kale chips, her favorite diabetes-friendly snack.
1 bunch kale, washed and dried
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon fine sea salt, or salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Pour olive oil and sea salt into a large Ziplock bag.
- Remove kale stems and chop into large-bite-sized pieces (They'll shrink a bit while baking).
- Put the kale in the bag — don't press the air out.
- Shake, shake, shake, then turn the bag upside down and shake some more.
- Once the chips are evenly coated, open the bag a bit and press the air out.
- Re-seal and massage the kale through the bag. This will help the tough leaves take the flavor.
- Lay kale on a lined baking sheet (or one that's sprayed lightly with cooking spray).
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until crisp.