Lisa Lillien, aka The Hungry Girl and best-selling author of Hungry Girl to the Max!The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook, makes The Doctors a comfort food staple: meatloaf!
"A lot of people think if you're making meatloaf, and you want to lighten it up, you have to use turkey," Lisa explains. "But the truth is a lot of regular ground turkey has more fat and calories than a lot of ground beef!"
• 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
• 1/2 cup chopped onion
• 1 1/4 pounds raw, extra-lean ground beef
• 3/4 cup canned, crushed tomatoes
• 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
• 1/4 cup fat-free, liquid egg substitute
• 1/4 cup frozen sweet corn kernels, thawed
• 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
• 2 tablespoons ketchup
• 1/4 cup shredded, reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick spray.
2. Spray a skillet with nonstick spray. Heat to medium.
3. Cook and stir bell pepper and onion (in skillet) until softened and browned, 5 to 7 minutes.
4. Transfer pepper and onion to a large bowl and pat dry.
5. Add all remaining ingredients, except ketchup and cheese. Mix thoroughly.
6. Transfer mixture to the loaf pan and evenly top with ketchup.
7. Bake for 45 minutes.
8. Sprinkle meatloaf with cheese .
9. Bake until loaf is cooked through and cheese has melted, about 5 minutes.
10. Slice, serve and eat!
Serving size: 1/5 of loaf
• 232 calories
• 6g fat
• 565mg sodium
• 14g carbs
• 2.5g fiber
• 5g sugars
• 28.5g protein