Lisa Lillien, also known as Hungry Girl, shares her healthy versions of four fast food favorites, so you can enjoy without destroying your diet!
Hungry Girl's Hungry Mac 'Bella Stack Burger
McDonald's Big Mac = 540 calories, 28 g fat Hungry Girl's Hungry Mac 'Bella Stack Burger = 234 calories, 2 g fat
Makes 1 serving
Nutritional facts (per serving): 234 calories, 2 g fat, 946 mg sodium, 45 g carbs, 9.5 g fiber, 12 g sugar, 14.5 g protein
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fat-free Thousand Island dressing
- 1 teaspoon finely minced onion or 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/8 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 portabello mushroom caps
- 1 1/2 small, light hamburger buns (1 top and 2 bottoms)
- 1/4 cup shredded lettuce
- 1 slice fat-free American cheese
- 1 tablespoon diced onion
- 3 hamburger dill pickle chips
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix sauce ingredients.
- Bring a large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Place mushroom caps in the skillet, rounded sides down. Cover and cook until soft, about 4 minutes per side.
- Spread one bottom bun with half of the sauce. Top with 2 tablespoons lettuce. Top with cheese and 1 mushroom cap, and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon diced onion.
- Spread remaining half of the sauce on the other bun bottom, and place it on the sandwich, sauce side up. Top with pickle chips and remaining 2 tablespoons lettuce. Top with remaining mushroom cap and remaining 1/2 tablespoon onion.
- Add the bun top, and enjoy!
Hungry Girl's Turkey Taco Salad
Taco Bell's Fiesta Taco Salad with Beef = 770 calories, 40 g fat Hungry Girl's Turkey Taco Salad = 354 calories, 10.5 g fat
Makes 1 serving
Nutritional facts (per serving): 354 calories, 10.5 g fat, 656 mg sodium, 36.5 g carbs, 9 g fiber, 11 g sugar, 31 g protein
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces raw, lean ground turkey (7 percent fat or less)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning mix
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons salsa
- 3 baked tortilla chips, lightly crushed
- 1 tablespoon light sour cream
- Place lettuce in a large bowl (or on a large plate).
- Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat. Cook and stir pepper and onion until softened and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add turkey to the skillet, and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Cook and crumble until fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Add black beans and corn, and cook until hot, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer contents of the skillet to the lettuce bowl. Top with remaining ingredients, and dig in!
Hungry Girl's Bacon 'n Cheese Turnip Fries
Wendy's Baconator Fries = 490 calories, 28 g fat Hungry Girl's Bacon 'n Cheese Turnip Fries = 243 calories, 9.5 g fat
Makes 2 servings
Nutritional facts (per serving): 243 calories, 9.5 g fat, 775 mg sodium, 24 g carbs, 6 g fiber, 14.5 g sugar, 14.5 g protein
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds turnips (about 2 medium-sized)
- 2 slices center-cut bacon or turkey bacon
- 1/4 cup light plain soymilk
- 2 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 wedges The Laughing Cow Light Creamy Swiss cheese
- Optional seasonings: salt and black pepper
- Optional topping: chopped scallions
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray 2 baking sheets with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut turnips into French fry-shaped spears, and lay on the sheets. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Flip spears, and bake until tender on the inside and crispy on the outside, about 15 or more minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crispy, either in a skillet over medium heat or on a microwave-safe plate in the microwave. (See package for cook time.) Then chop or crumble.
- Pour soymilk into a small nonstick pot. Add cheese slices and wedges, breaking them into pieces. Bring to medium-low heat. Cook and stir until sauce is hot and uniform, about 5-8 minutes.
- Top fries with cheese sauce and chopped or crumbled bacon.
Hungry Girl's Faux-Fried Fried Chicken Strips
3 KFC Extra Crispy Tenders = 380 calories, 20 g fat
3 Hungry Girl Faux-Fried Fried Chicken Strips = 138 calories, 1.5 g fat
Makes 2 servings
Nutritional facts (per serving, 3 strips): 138 calories, 1.5 g fat, 348 mg sodium, 13 g carbs, 7 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 23.5 g protein
- 1/2 cup high-fiber bran cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute or egg whites
- 6 ounces raw, boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 6 strips
- Optional seasoning: black pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a small blender or food processor, grind cereal into crumbs. (Or crush cereal with a meat mallet through a bag.) Transfer to a wide bowl and mix in garlic salt.
- Place egg substitute/whites in another wide bowl. One at a time, dunk chicken strips into the egg, shake to remove excess, and coat with crumbs. Evenly lay strips on baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Flip chicken, and then bake until cooked through and crispy, about 6 minutes.
Source: Hungry Girl