Try these healthy and hearty holiday recipes from "The Hungry Girl," Lisa Lillien!
Sassy Salsa Pumpkin Soup
2 cups per serving: 177 calories, 1g fat, 8.5g fiber
• 4 cups fat-free broth (chicken or vegetable)
• 1 15-oz. can pure pumpkin
• 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
• 1 cup canned sweet corn kernels
• 3/4 cup salsa
• 1 tbsp. minced garlic
• 1 tsp. chili powder
• 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• Optional toppings: shredded fat-free or low-fat cheese, fat-free sour cream and chopped scallions
1. Spray a medium-size pot with nonstick spray and bring to medium heat on the stove.
2. Place garlic in the pot. Stir and cook for 1 minute. Add broth and spices, and bring to a simmer.
3. Add pumpkin and mix well. Add the remaining ingredients, stir, and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Top each cup with any of the optional ingredients before serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Noodlicious Veggie Crabcakes
1 crabcake per serving: 60 calories, 0.5g fat, 326mg sodium, 10g carbs, 1g fiber, 2g sugars, 5g protein
• 2 packages House Foods Tofu Shirataki Noodles, spaghetti shape
• 1 12-oz. package broccoli cole slaw mix, dry
• 1 1/2 cups dry pancake mix
• 12-oz. drained white crabmeat
• 1 cup diced scallions
• 1/2 cup egg whites (the whites of about four eggs)
• 1 tsp. seasoned salt
1. Rinse and drain Shirataki noodles well. Pat dry. Place noodles in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for one minute.
2. Drain excess liquid from noodles and pat them until thoroughly dry. Cut noodles into pieces about 4 inches in length.
3. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Bring a pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat.
4. Scoop four spoonfuls of the mix evenly into the pan, using a total of one-fifth of the batter. Press gently with a spatula to form cakes.
5. Cook until crab cakes are golden brown on both sides, flipping occasionally. Repeat this process four more times, removing the pan from the heat, reapplying nonstick spray in between batches.
6. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
Makes 20 servings.