- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1/4- cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/4- cup fresh parsley
- 1/2- cup chopped walnuts OR pine nuts
- 1/2- cup parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2- teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3- cup extra virgin olive oil (use more or less for desired consistency)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary.
- Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- If you prefer, add more extra virgin olive oil for a thinner consistency.
- Transfer to a jar with a lid.
- Keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
Spicy Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 sweet onion (diced)
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth (or water) (plus 1-2 tbsp more, if needed)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Sauté the diced onion in the vegetable broth (or water) for 4-5 minutes until softened. If the onions start to stick, add an additional 1-2 tbsp of vegetable broth (or water).
- Add the minced garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, salt, basil, oregano, and balsamic vinegar. Simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.