The Hungry Girl Lisa Lillien shares her Growing Oatmeal Breakfast recipe, from her latest book The Hungry Girl Diet .
This oatmeal cooks for twice as long as standard oatmeal, and it will thicken. Don’t worry if it seems like a lot of liquid at the beginning. Old-fashioned slow-cooking oats are a must. Instant oatmeal won’t work in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Sweeten to taste
- Dash salt
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/4 cup raspberries and/or blackberries
- 1/4 ounce almonds or pistachios (about 6 almonds or 12 pistachios)
- Side: 2 large hard-boiled egg whites
- In a nonstick pot, combine all oatmeal ingredients except pumpkin, berries, nuts, and eggs. Mix in 1 1/4 cups water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Add pumpkin and cook and stir until thick and creamy, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and let slightly cool and thicken.
- Top with berries and nuts, or have them on the side with your egg whites.
Makes one serving.