Nutritionist Yuri Elkaim shares foods you should add to your diet that could help prevent diabetes, heart disease and dementia.
Kale is one of the foods Yuri says can help prevent illness. He explains that the leafy green has antioxidants, which support a healthy immune system, and it contains omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation.
Try two recipes that feature kale from Yuri's book, The All-Day Energy Diet.
Plus, enter for a chance to win a copy of The All-Day Energy Diet.
The Green Machine Smoothie
- 1 head kale, swiss chard or dark lettuce
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- 1 pear
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- Add ingredients to your blender along with two cups of water.
- Blend and enjoy!
Curry Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 or 2 dates, soaked until soft
- Roll up the kale and chop it into thin strips. Place it in a salad bowl.
- For the dressing, blend all other ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Add water to thin out the dressing, if needed.
- Toss the kale salad with the dressing.
- Serve with your favorite piece of fish or organic meat.
Source: The All-Day Energy Diet