Dr. Travis' Anytime Vegetable Soup
One cup of this soup contains a full serving (or more!) or Anytime Vegetables. Cook a big batch and freeze it in the microwaveable one-cup containers. You can heat it up for lunch, dinner, or a snack!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup spinach or cabbage, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup of any kind of Anytime Vegetables, such as green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, squash, or wax beans
- 1 32-ounce box fat-free, reduced sodium chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed or diced tomatoes, or 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh or dried parsley, basil, oregano, or other herbs, to taste
- Spray a saucepan with cooking spray and heat on medium. Add onion, garlic, celery, carrots, spinach, cabbage, and your choice of Anytime Vegetables, sautéing for a few minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add broth, tomatoes or tomato sauce, herbs, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the vegetables are cooked to the doneness you like.
- Makes 6 or more servings, depending on how many vegetables you add.