For a delicious meal that won't ruin your diet, try ER physician Dr. Travis Stork's recipe for spaghetti and meatballs from his latest book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, pork, beef, or a combination of pork and beef
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Simply Tomato Sauce or low-sodium store-bought tomato sauce
- Pasta options: Brown rice spaghetti, whole-grain pasta noodles, or cooked spaghetti squash
- In a large bowl, combine the ground meat, oregano, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Wearing a disposable glove or using your clean hands, mix very well to incorporate all the ingredients. Form the mixture into about 16 equal-size balls measuring about 1 ½ inches each. Place on a baking sheet or a couple of large plates.
- Just after you’ve brought your tomato sauce to a simmer (you don’t have to cook it before adding the meatballs), gently add the meatballs using a slotted spoon and lightly stir to coat the meatballs in the sauce. Bring back to a simmer for 30 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Serve over the noodles of choice.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer.