Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
- 4 red bell peppers, cut in half from top to bottom, seeds, membranes, and stem removed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small orange pepper, well chopped
- 1 small green pepper, well chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 15-ounce can petite diced tomatoes with juice)
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Immerse peppers in boiling water for 3 minutes.
- Drain peppers and discard water.
- Arrange peppers, open-side up, in a large glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle with black pepper.
- In a large skillet, sauté chopped orange and green peppers and onion in olive oil until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add in diced tomatoes, quinoa, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cumin, and 2 cups water.
- Mix well.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 15 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked.
- Stir half the cheese into the quinoa mixture and mix well.
- Spoon the quinoa-cheese mixture into the cavities of the red peppers in the baking dish.
- Pour tomato sauce over all.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake 15–20 minutes, or until bubbly.
Recipes courtesy of Dr. Travis’s “The Lose Your Belly Diet”