ER physician Dr. Travis Stork shares a simple, kid-friendly recipe for green beans from his book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
- 12 ounces green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dried coconut
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Pinch to 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the green beans and cook until just cooked through and bright green, about 3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the coconut and cook, stirring, for 10 to 20 seconds, until it starts to color (watch the pan carefully, as coconut can burn easily).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the green beans (or heat them through if you've made them in advance). Add the lemon juice, cayenne, and salt and stir to coat the beans. Taste, adjust the seasonings, and serve.
Time-saving tip: Buy pre-cut green beans in a microwave-ready bag and microwave them instead of blanching them in water, or use frozen green beans.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer.