ER physician Dr. Travis Stork shares the recipe to his Garlicky Butternut Squash Mash, featured in his new book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen sweet potato chunks, defrosted
- 5 tablespoons milk
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen butternut squash chunks, defrosted
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Pinch of ground nutmeg (optional)
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes, until softened.
- Add the sweet potatoes and milk. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes, until almost completely softened.
- Add the squash and salt. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes, or until both the sweet potatoes and squash are completely softened.
- Transfer to a food processor, add the nutmeg (if using) and the lemon juice and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust, then serve.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer.