ER physician Dr. Travis Stork shares a healthy and delicious alternative to fried fish tacos from his book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless cod or other firm white fish fillet, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili, to taste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- 2 avocados, cut in half, pitted, flesh scooped out and mashed with a little lime juice and salt
- Wrapper options: 8 warmed corn or other whole-grain tortillas, 8 tender cabbage leaves, or 8 very thin peeled turnip slices
- In a large bowl, combine the fish, salt, and chili powder and toss to coat well, taking care not to crumble the fish.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and saute until just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and stir in the lime juice. Transfer the fish to a serving bowl and stir in the cilantro.
- To serve, lay out your wrappers, top with some fish (scoop mixture using a slotted spoon to avoid getting your wrappers soggy with the juices), and finish with avocado and a spoonful of salsa.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer.