ER physician Dr. Travis Stork shares his Dr. Travis-Approved Mac 'N' Cheese recipe from his latest book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
- 12 ounces whole-wheat or other whole grain pasta elbows or shells
- 1 10-ounce package frozen cauliflower florets, defrosted
- 1 cup coarsely shredded cheddar cheese, plus ¼ to ½ cup more for topping
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in a hot water to cover by two inches for at least one hour or overnight
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed through a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon sweet paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ to ½ cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the package details to al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: In a blender or food processor, combine the cauliflower, cheese, milk, cashews, shallot, garlic, vinegar, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper and blend until smooth, scraping the sides of the machine as needed to get at everything. Add a little water if the mixture is too thick. (You’re looking for a fairly thick but still pourable consistency.)
- Place pasta in a large bowl. Add the sauce and stir to combine.
- Transfer the pasta to a 9-by-9 inch baking pan and top with bread crumbs, followed by the remaining cheese.
- Place in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until browned on top and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.
Use brown rice pasta and omit the breadcrumbs, or substitute toasted ground almonds or walnuts.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors executive producer.