ER physician Dr. Travis Stork challenges reality TV stars Honey Boo Boo and Mama June to a taste test and reveals that the "milkshake" is a smoothie packed with berries. Try Dr. Travis' Any Berry Smoothie recipe, which is featured in his latest book, The Doctor's Diet Cookbook.
Any berry you have on hand is the right berry for this smoothie; go ahead and mix and match. And if you’re low on berries, supplement with peaches, plums, pineapple or a banana.
- 1/2 cup water of coconut water, plus more if needed
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup baby spinach or kale (optional)
- 1 teaspoon honey or pure maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup frozen berries, such as raspberries, blueberries, strawberries or cherries.
- Optional boosts: 1 tablespoon flaxseed or chia seeds, 1 scoop protein powder, 1/2 tablespoon all-natural no-sugar-added almond butter
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender, starting with the water and ending with the berries for easiest blending. Blend, starting on low speed and finishing on high speed until smooth, adding more water if the smoothie is too thick.
- Pour into a glass and serve immediately.
Dairy-Free Any Berry Smoothie: Substitute 1/2 cup coconut milk or nut or other nondairy milk in the carton, or 1/4 cup unsweetened canned coconut milk mixed with 1/4 cup water for the yogurt.
Source: The Doctor's Diet Cookbook by Travis Stork, M.D. Copyright © 2014. Click here to purchase a copy.
The Doctor's Diet and The Doctor's Diet Cookbook are published by Bird Street Books, Inc., which is owned by The Doctors' executive producer.