If your child comes down with the flu this season, be aware that many over-the-counter medications are not safe for kids under the age of six. Furthermore, many parents prefer using chest rubs to ease their child’s symptoms; however, some of the ingredients, such as petroleum jelly, may not be safe. Pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears shares an all-natural, homemade chest rub to ease your child’s symptoms.
1/2 cup coconut oil
20 drops eucalyptus essential oil
20 drops peppermint essential oil
Empty baby food jar (with label removed so child doesn't confuse for food) or any small container with a lid
• Mix ingredients thoroughly and place in container.
• Test a small amount before administering to confirm there's no irritation to skin.
• Rub on child’s chest when he or she is experiencing cold and/or flu symptoms.
• Do not use this chest rub, or any type of chest rub, on children under the age of 2.
• Do not ingest, as peppermint oil is not safe to consume.