Physical medicine and rehabilitation specialist Dr. Ian Smith shares a simple, inexpensive recipe for a delicious and filling bean soup from his new book, Super Shred: The Big Results Diet.
Total time: 20 minutes
Under 150 calories per serving
• 2 teaspoons olive oil
• 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
• 1 small red onion, peeled and chopped
• 1 cup tomato paste
• 1 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 1/2 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 19-ounce can of cannellini beans
• 1 15-ounce can of black beans
• 1/2 cup celery, sliced
• 1/2 cup peeled and thinly sliced carrots
• Salt and pepper to taste
• Heat olive in a large saucepan, and saute the garlic and onion until tender.
• Add the tomato paste and thyme.
• Bring to a boil, then add all the beans, celery and carrots.
• Cover, and cook on low heat for about 15 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
• Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Copyright © 2013 by Dr. Ian K. Smith. Reprinted by permission of St. Martin's Press. All rights reserved.