Chef Devin Alexander shares her recipe to a lower-calorie whipped cream.
• 3/4 cup light agave nectar
• 3 large egg whites, room temperature
• 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1. Add water to a medium saucepan until it is about 1/4 full. Bring the water to a boil over high heat.
2. Off the heat, combine the agave, egg whites and cream of tartar in a large metal or heavy duty glass mixing bowl (that will fit onto the top of your saucepan).
3. Beat on medium-high with an electric mixer fitted with beaters until well blended.
4. Place the bowl over the pot of boiling water. (For safety, be sure to wear an oven mitt while holding the bowl over the heat, as it will get very hot).
5. Beat for about 7 minutes, occasionally running the beaters around the sides of the bowl to scrape any of the mixture, until stiff peaks form.
6. Remove the bowl from the water and continue beating for 5 to 7 minutes more, rotating the bowl and scraping down the sides with the beaters, or until the mixture is thick, very fluffy, and has very stiff peaks.
Source: Devin Alexander, author of The Biggest Loser Cookbook: More Than 80 Healthy Treats That Satisfy Your Sweet Tooth Without Breaking Your Calorie Budget.