Skip the drive-thru! Best-selling author David Zinczenko shares a mouthwatering recipe for a classic beef burger from his new book, "Zero Belly Cookbook."
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef (at least 90 percent)
- 3 tablespoons black pepper marinade
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 gluten-free English muffins or burger buns, toasted
- 1 beefsteak tomato, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 8 leaves Bibb lettuce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, marinade, and salt and let sit for 10 minutes.
- While the beef is marinating, heat an outdoor grill or a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Form the beef mixture into 4 patties and grill for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. The center should be pink and juicy.
- Spread each toasted burger bun top with 1 1/2 teaspoons ketchup and 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard. Place a burger on each toasted burger bun bottom and top with slices of red tomato, 2 lettuce leaves, and a burger top.
Source: "Zero Belly Cookbook," by David Zinczenko. Copyright © 2015 by David Zinczenko. Reprinted by arrangement with Ballantine Books, an imprint of Random House, a division of Penguin Random House LLC. All rights reserved.