Chicken Roll with Dates and Goat Cheese
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted chopped soaked in hot water
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 chicken breast cutlets, butterflied
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place the dates in a small bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken breasts chopping board. Cover with plastic wrap and pound the meat to about ¼-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper
- Drain the water from dates, mix with softened goat cheese, and thyme.
- Add 1/2 of the goat cheese mixture to each chicken breast. Spread it evenly across the breast, but don’t go all the way to the edges. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
- Roll the chicken breasts up and secure each one with a wooden toothpick if desired.
- Heat olive oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken rolls seam side down and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Combine the honey and lemon juice in a small bowl. Brush on top of the chicken. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes. Slice and serve with some steamed green beans.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stuart O'Keeffe.