Brazilian Chicken Stroganoff
3 tbsp. oil, 3 bone-in split chicken breasts (skinless)
1 tbsp. achiote paste (annatto seed)
2½ tsp. salt
6 cloves garlic smashed in a mortar, ¼ red pepper, cut into thin strips
¼ cup packed chopped cilantro, 1 white onion, diced
1 tomato, quartered, 4 cups water, divided
1 bay leaf, 1 cup of corn (frozen, fresh or canned)
⅓ cup sliced green olives
2 tbsp. crema
Cooked rice, for serving
- Heat slow cooker on high, add oil, chicken skin side down, salt and achiote into slow cooker. Toss to coat chicken.
- In a blender, add smashed garlic, red pepper, cilantro, diced onion, and tomato. Pour in 2 cups of water and blend well. Pour blended mixture over chicken in slow cooker and then add two more cups of water to slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 4 hours.
- Drain the chicken and vegetables, reserving all the broth.
- Let chicken cool and pull/shred meat from the chicken breasts.
- Return the meat to a large fry pan. Add corn, green olives and only the cream that rises to the top of the crema and some of the reserved chicken stock to reach your desired consistency.
- Warm it up and serve with rice.
Camila's Beet Hummus
- 1 cans of chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup of fresh lemon juice
- 3 large garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 medium beets cooled cooked – (Wrap beets in foil and cook at 425 degrees for 1 hour or until tender).
- Water for blending
- In food processor combine ingredients adding one beet at a time to get to the beet taste desired. Puree until creamy. If too thick, add a little water to get to desired consistency.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with sliced almonds, feta cheese, thinly sliced scallions, and sliced radishes. Or if you don’t have that handy, just use a pretty basil garnish.