Dietician and celebrity nutritionist Cynthia Sass says you can simplify your diet and put meals together that are slimming, balanced and delicious by thinking about meal planning the same way you would think about putting an outfit together. She suggests eating a lean protein (your shirt), a vegetable (the pants) and a plant-based fat (your shoes) at each meal. Then, you can add a starch as an "accessory." Try this broccoli cashew chicken stir-fry for a complete meal that uses all the food groups.
- 3 ounces cooked boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced yellow onion
- 1/4 cup low-sodium organic vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- Seasoning suggestion: 1 teaspoon minced garlic, 1/4 teaspoon grated fresh ginger, 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- In a medium sauté pan set over high heat, sauté the onion in the broth until it is translucent.
- Add the broccoli, garlic, ginger, crushed red pepper, black pepper and 1 tablespoon of water.
- Sauté the mixture until the broccoli is slightly tender.
- Add the chicken, heat it through, and transfer the stir-fry to a serving dish.
- Garnish it with the cashews and serve.
Serve with 1/2 cup brown rice or 1 cup cooked spaghetti squash. You also can add 1 cup orange slices or 1/2 cup black-eyed peas to the stir-fry.
Source: Slim Down Now