Love doughnuts but not the extra calories? Superstar Rihanna's personal chef, Debbie Solomon, shares her recipe for a healthy alternative to the beloved baked good.
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- 1/4 cup organic arrowroot flour or coconut flour
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup organic coconut oil (to cook)
- Use three bowls: one for the arrowroot flour, one for the egg mixture (mix cinnamon and vanilla in with the beaten egg) and a third for the shredded coconut.
- Remove the core and cut the apple into rings.
- Dip apple rings in flour and dust off. Then dip lightly in beaten egg (don’t want too much to stick) and finally dip in coconut shreds.
- Heat pan over medium heat and melt the coconut oil.
- Add one slice of apple rings at a time to the pan and cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. (Watch them carefully so they don’t burn.)
- Place cooked apple slices on a plate covered with a paper towel to soak a bit.
- Once cooked, drizzle with honey and cinnamon.
- Optional: Add 1 teaspoon of dark chocolate, chia seeds, sesame seeds or whatever other healthy topping you enjoy.
Source: Chef Debbie Solomon