Apple Walnut Breakfast Bowl
- ½ cup cottage cheese
- 1 apple, chopped, with skin on (1 cup)
- Dash cinnamon
- ½ oz. chopped walnuts
- Spoon cottage cheese into a bowl.
- Top with apple, cinnamon, and walnuts.
Chicken and Avocado Salad
- 2 cups salad greens
- 4 oz. cooked chicken meat, chopped
- ½ cup cooked white beans, drained
- ¼ cup celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon red onion, chopped
- ½ small avocado, cubed
- 2 tablespoons Lemony Dill Dressing
- Place salad greens on a plate. Top with white beans, chicken, celery, red onion, and avocado.
- Drizzle with dressing.
Lemony Dill Dressing
1 cup plain yogurt, plain kefir, or plain drinkable yogurt
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
½ teaspoon freshly grated lemon rind
1 tablespoon fresh dill, finely chopped, or more to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients. Add water if needed to thin to desired consistency.
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Put everything but the parsley in a food processor and process until smooth. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Lentils with Barley and Spicy Tomato Sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound fresh, ripe tomatoes, chopped (or 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes with juice)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more to taste)
- 2 cups cooked or canned and drained lentils
- 2 cupped cooked pearl barley (prepared according to package directions and kept warm)
- In a large saucepan, sauté garlic and onion in olive oil until soft. Add in oregano, basil, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and crushed red pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 5 minutes. Stir in lentils and barley, and heat through.
Recipes courtesy of "The Lose Your Belly Diet: Change Your Gut, Change Your Life" which is published by Ghost Mountain Books, which is owned, in part, by The Doctors’ Executive Producer, Jay McGraw and is available at TheBookNook.com and everywhere books are sold.