The following material contains mature subject matter. Viewer discretion is advised.
Is a lack of passion or "intimacy anorexia" wreaking havoc on your relationship? Psychologist and sex therapist Dr. Douglas Weiss and psychiatrist Dr. Ish Major join The Doctors to share tips couples can use to keep the spark in their relationship thriving.
To keep your relationship and sex life healthy and maintain intimacy, Dr. Weiss suggests:
- Go on dates - once a week or every other week
- Have sex regularly with "eyes open, lights on" for a nurturing connection
- Share a spiritual connection (of any type, either religious or not) between both parties
- Reveal your feelings and share your heart every day with your significant other
If a couple is looking to reconnect physically and jumpstart their passion, Dr. Weiss and Dr. Ish say couples need to:
- Practice good conflict management in order to avoid hating each other and developing resentment
- Keep your intimacy "warm" in order for it to get "hot" and try to avoid dipping into the "cold" area of intimacy, which they say will hinder those spontaneous moments of passion and sexual connection
- Manage your feelings of rejection when your partner is not in the mood and stop yourself from taking it too personally, remember both parties being in the mood at the same time is not always going to happen
But is there a time when a couple, despite their best efforts, is just not meant to be together? Find out what Dr. Weiss and Dr. Ish say are the signs of a couple that should parts ways, in the video below.