Coronavirus/COVID-19 has put a major damper on summer plans this year, but there are still a ton of great ways to have fun while keeping yourself safe.
Outside Family Fun While Still Socially Distancing
- Plant a garden -- this will help teach kids about the importance of healthy eating while also learning how to nurture and care for something
- Build and hang a bird feeder and learn about the wildlife in your neighborhood
- Get wet and cool off with swimming, or try a slip-and-slide, or have a water balloon fight (If you are heading to a pool, beach, lake, or waterfront area, check out these safety guidelines to keep yourself and your loved ones as safe as possible and of course don't forget the sunscreen!)
- Host a neighborhood driveway chalk art contest with these supplies and create your chalk masterpiece
- Enjoy meals outside and take advantage of the warm weather and longer daylight hours
- In addition to exercising as a family with walks, jogs, bike rides -- try outdoor games like bocce ball, cornhole, ping pong, or croquet
- Enjoy a game or puzzle night -- check out these classic board games and fun puzzles that everyone will enjoy and will keep the family occupied for hours
- Exercise as a family -- The Doctors have great at-home workout tips!
- Host a house scavenger hunt, and consider competing against other households
- Enjoy a movie night or even a musical sing-a-long
- Have a family dance party and have other families or friends join in via video conferencing -- and these lights will help get the party started
Bond as a Family While Helping Those in Need
- Donate food to those in need and recruit others to help out - find out where you can donate food and supplies in your area
- Volunteer to walk a neighbor's dog
- Make, write and send cards, letters, and notes to family and friends -- now is a great time to bring back the art of the written letter
- Make a front lawn sign to thank essential workers, healthcare workers, and anyone you want to give a shout out to
- Make food and baked goods for first responders and essential workers -- find an extensive list of where to donate food and baked goods across America
Get the entire list of 100 summertime things to do with or without kids -- including art project ideas, ways to improve your home and things that adults can do when the kids have finally gone to sleep!
*Find more resources, tips, advice, and news on coronavirus/COVID-19 from The Doctors and stay informed on the latest information on the coronavirus from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization and learn about prevention methods and what to do if you are infected.
*CBSi may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through featured links above.