Ask an Expert: What You're Doing Wrong in Your Weight Loss Journ…
Ask an Expert: Should You Be Worried about Your Child's Birthmar…
The Doctors Dos and Don'ts for Putting Things 'Down There'
3 Tips for Cultivating More Gratitude and Kindness
What Is the Blue Poop Challenge -- And Should You Do It?
Is Drinking Chlorophyll Water Good for Your Health?
Can You Bring More Kindness and Compassion into Your Life?
How to Treat Summer Sandal Blisters
Is the TikTok Ab-Dance Worth Your Ten Minutes?
How to Treat Dry and Cracked Heels
How Long Should It Take for Your Food to Travel through Your Sys…
FDA-Approved Weight Loss Medication a Game Changer?
Legal Expert Wendy Murphy on the Importance of Public Uprisings
The Doctors' Best Dog Advice from Our Favorite Pet Lovers
Ask an Expert: How to Avoid Filler Fatigue
Ask an Expert: Are You Applying Sunscreen Wrong?
The Doctors Get Real about Popular TikTok Hacks
Ask an Expert: Essential Summer Sleep Tips to Beat the Heat
Ask an Expert: The Vital Post-Surgery Steps You Need to Follow
Cult Expert Rick Ross Identifies Popular Groups That Could Be Cu…
The trainer feels rules and restrictions cause most diets to fail and tells The Doctors the focus should be on calories and protein.
"If you know how many calories to eat and how much protein to eat every day -- based on how active you are and what your goals are -- you can rapidly transform your physique regardless of the individual foods you eat," he says. "You can get the body you want, eating the foods you like."
The personal trainer reveals this includes the foods that many people say someone looking to lose weight should not eat -- like carbohydrates and sugar.
He also notes working out is not just about burning calories. The fitness expert explains it is important to exercise with the goal of gaining muscle and strength. This can be accomplished using free weights, weight machines, and your own body weight, The trainer says this type of exercise also reduces the risk of diseases like cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes, along with improving brain function and sleep.
Mike also stresses, "You don't have to cut carbs and sugars out of your diet to lose fat and get healthy." He explains weight gain is usually caused by the consistent overeating of unhealthy and processed foods
The trainer recommends getting 80 percent of your daily calories from whole and relatively unprocessed foods like lean protein, whole grains, fruit, vegetables, seeds, and legumes. The remaining 20 percent can be used on whatever you want including indulgent foods and treats.