Carbon monoxide is known as the silent killer. It's odorless, colorless and tasteless, and carbon monoxide is very deadly. The good news? It's also preventable with the use of a carbon monoxide detector.
Sheletta shared the tragic story of losing 5 family members in one night caused by a generator they were using after they lost power due to a hurricane. Sheletta wants people to know that a carbon monoxide detector could have saved their lives.
What does an carbon monoxide alarm do? The alarms detect the presence of carbon monoxide and will alert you, much like a fire alarm. When you hear that beep, it's essential to get fresh air as soon as possible.
What to consider when installing devices in your home:
- Carbon monoxide can be produced by any fuel-burning device like your home furnace, dryers, and your fireplace.
- It's important to have a carbon monoxide detector in every bedroom and on every floor of your house, so everyone can hear the alarm.
- Carbon monoxide alarms can be placed anywhere in the room - on the wall or the ceiling. Both will be just as effective.
Here are 10 carbon monoxide detectors (some are combination smoke alarms) to choose from to keep your family safe from the silent killer:
1) First Alert Plug-In Carbon Monoxide Detector for $32
3) Hydong Carbon Monoxide Detector with Voice Notification and LCD Display 3-Pack for $40
5) X-Sense 10-Year Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm with LCD Display 3-Pack for $108
When you purchase your detector, be sure to familiarize yourself with the sound it will make if there is carbon monoxide detected in your home. Also, if your device is battery-operated, know the sound will be different than when your device is alerting you to the end of it's battery life. With battery-operated device, it's recommended that you check and change batteries in your detectors every 6 months unless otherwise indicated.
*CBSi may earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through featured links above.