The Doctors discuss Munchausen by proxy, which made headlines with the story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard and our guest Jordyn, who believes she was also the victim of the psychological disorder at the hands of her mother. We detail red flags and warning signs that someone may be the victim of this type of medical abuse.
The Doctors explain this is a form of emotional abuse that becomes physical. Clinical psychologist Dr. Judy Ho shares some red flags for Munchausen by proxy which can include:
- A caregiver being very overly dramatic about the child or patient's symptoms
- A caregiver limiting access to the child or patient
- A child or patient not being allowed to speak when around doctors or medical professionals
- A child or patient only being able to speak when allowed to by a caregiver and then is given talking points
- When a patient's symptoms or medical issues do not match up with what is actually medically happening
- A caregiver doctor shopping care from numerous medical professionals
"If you suspect this could be happening to someone you know or love... you need to raise your suspicions, because [Munchausen by proxy] is not always obvious," ER physician Dr. Travis Stork stresses.
Learn more about Jordyn's story, including the moment she confronted her mother about the alleged abuse on The Doctors.