Does your child have a complicated relationship with their emotions?
The Doctors welcome parenting expert Donna Tetreault to share tips with parents on how to help children with their emotional intelligence and how to better express their feelings. In addition to kids thinking about their emotions, she says it is important for them to also think about the emotions of others.
Donna lays out the 5 skills for emotional intelligence, which include:
- Recognize emotions in oneself and others
- Understand causes and consequences of emotions
- Label emotions accurately
- Express emotions appropriately keeping the time, place, and culture in mind
- Regulate and manage emotions
The parenting expert feels if this type of curriculum should be taught in classrooms and homes in order to have healthier kids who can better express, understand, manage and deal with our ever-changing emotions and the emotions of those around us.
Many of these lessons and tips about emotions are covered in Donna's new book, "Dear Me," which is available now.