The Doctors discuss model Gemma Downey's health scare after a blister on her ankle became septic!
The model first noticed the sore on her ankle and placed a bandage on it, but when the wound continued to get worse and her ankle began to swell, she sought medical attention. She was placed on antibiotics, but her symptoms worsened as she developed blue skin, an elevated heart rate, and nausea.
It was discovered that Gemma had developed sepsis reportedly as a result of a blister on her heel. The Doctors note this case is extreme and agree that there must have been an additional underlying issue based on the severity of the case. Luckily, Gemma was treated and recovered from her sepsis health scare.
The Doctors note the best way to treat a wound is to:
- Treat it quickly and early
- Keep it covered and clean
- If the wound continues to worsen, not heal or became enflamed, or spread -- get it checked out
ER physician Dr. Travis Stork also warns viewers about sepsis symptoms to watch out for, which include:
- Temperature - higher or lower than normal
- Infection -the wound may present signs and symptoms of an infection
- Mental decline - someone appearing confused, sleepy, or difficult to rouse
- Extremely ill - someone telling you, “I feel like I might die,” or having severe pain or discomfort