The coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic has claimed the lives of over 23,000 Americans -- as of April 13, 2020 -- and you might be wondering why the reported death toll in America higher than any other nation.
America is followed by Italy, Spain, France, and The United Kingdom in order of reported deaths -- with the worldwide total coming in over 119,000 (as of publication), but why are we losing the most amount of people?
According to Dr. Sanjay Gupta, these grim statistics are due to our response time when the pandemic first began. "We acted late," he told CNN's Jake Tapper. "We did not test adequately."
He points to the early days of the pandemic coming to America and the initial reports of infections, saying, "The virus was circulating robustly in these communities and many people were getting infected... we're still now seeing the ramifications of that."
He acknowledges there have been many more tests lately, but notes the bulk of testing has been conducted just recently. He feels there should have been more testing done earlier and "uniformly." He adds, "We didn't have that."
As always, the best way to prevent infection is by avoiding being exposed and The Doctors urge everyone to take these preventive actions to stop the spread of the virus:
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60 percent alcohol if soap and water are not accessible - Find out how to care for your overwashed hands
- Practice social distancing at all times when in public - Find out safety tips for leaving the house
- Wear a facemask when in public, especially crowded areas like times when you need to go to the store - Find out how to properly wear a mask
- Shelter in place as often as possible in order to limit your exposure
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Minimize or avoid exposure to sick people - Find out how to isolate if someone in your household has COVID-19
- Stay home if you are sick
- Cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue and then dispose of the tissue
- Frequently clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces and objects that are often handled, touched - Find out cleaning tips for viruses
Learn about even more helpful resources, tips, advice and news on coronavirus/COVID-19 from The Doctors.
*Stay informed on the latest information on the coronavirus from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization and learn about prevention methods and what to do if you are infected.